Wednesday, February 21, 2018 06:12:19 PM

Officials fear massive Canada wildfire could double in size

By news - Sat May 07, 5:01 am

Thousands more displaced residents will get a sobering drive-by view of their burned out city as convoys continue Saturday.

Police and military will oversee another procession of hundreds of vehicles, and the mass airlift of evacuees will also resume. A day after 8,000 people were flown out, authorities said 5,500 more were expected to be evacuated by the end of Friday and another 4,000 on Saturday.

Chad Morrison, an official with the Alberta government wildfire unit, told reporters in the provincial capital Edmonton, about 270 miles (430 km) to the south, the blaze was likely to double in size by late on Saturday, the end of its first week.

The road convoy operation, involving an estimated 1,500 vehicles, was authorised after firefighters judged that the blaze in the immediate area of Fort McMurray had been bought under control.

Leave a Reply

Comments are closed on this post.